Thursday, February 14, 2013

Making a mess but having fun

Hello Everyone.
 
Michelle here from Adelaide, South Australia.
 
I am super excited to have been invited back to play along with you all at Mad about Scrappin.
 
I have been having a bit of fun this month so far mixing it up with this months challenge.

I think when I see the word challenge my eyes light up and my brain seems to tick over.
so for this month's challenge I got to work creating a layout of my eldest daughter.
 
Now.. I have just recently moved house and am slowly getting rid of piles of packaging and cardboard from new furniture I have bought. Bearing that in mind I have some of the packaging to be of use for future scrap booking projects... that is much to my children's disgust. "More cardboard packaging to find a storage place for!" they said. lol
 
So for my technique as part of this month challenge I have recycled some of the cardboard packaging as my base for my layout. To the base I wanted to add some texture and have managed to do this using a few layers of paper napkins adhered directly to the cardboard base with a glue wash. The key is to use a paint brush to apply the glue wash, be gentle and not worry about wrinkles as they really do add to the effect!  Plus the best bit is that because the recycled card was quite thick it was able to work well with the glue wash and napkins without warping when it dried.
 
After the base had dried I then applied a wash of watered down paint and then got busy with multiple colours of glimmer mist to suit the paper I had chosen to use. The glimmer mist helped to highlight the scrunched napkins. Plus the glimmer mists also gives the base of the layout a slight shimmer when the light hits it.

 
The last technique I have used is hand cutting. I actually find hand cutting quite relaxing..
Nuts I know!
Because I was in the recycling mood AND because I just couldn't find the right flourish that I light I decided to mix up a few of my wooden flourishes and trace off the bits I liked onto recycled card till I had a flourish I was happy with. I then used my craft knife to remove the excess card stock and then coloured it with glimmer mist till I was happy with the colour.
 Super easy and at least I got the exact flourish I wanted.
 
 
Super happy with the end result. I got to recycled some of my packaging AND got to get messy creating in the process.
 
 
Why not play around with the challenge this month and see what you can create.
 
TFL, M x
 

 

No comments: